The visa program is aimed at attracting foreign applicants with the means to support themselves through stable passive or recurring income. The D7 is a long-term residency visa that can lead to eventual permanent residency and/or citizenship. And unlike with a Golden Visa, you don’t need to purchase a property at all.
- Launched in 2007
- Portuguese Temporary Residency In 4 – 6 Months
- No Investment Required
What age do I need to be to apply for the D7 Visa
You must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application. As of Nov 2020, no formal guidelines have been provided in terms of the maximum acceptable age limit, however the program is exceedingly popular among wealthy retirees.
Who should consider applying for the D7 visa
As of 2020, the program has been increasingly popular among long-term digital nomads, remote workers/telecommuters, affiliate marketers, crypto traders, online consultants, digital entrepreneurs, and a host of other location-independent professionals.
The D7 Visa program requirements are well-suited to the following groups of applicants:
- Retired people receiving sufficient levels of stable recurring pension income
- Remote workers, long-term digital nomads, and information industry professionals earning an adequate stable recurring income outside of Portugal. If you have significant savings available, this can count in your favor
- Remote consultants, life coaches, digital entrepreneurs, affiliate marketers, and even crypto traders with sufficient stable recurring income, ideally combined with significant accessible savings
- Landlords earning sufficient long-term income from the rental of movable and/or immovable assets abroad.
- Individuals earning stable recurring income from investments, or those earning sufficient stable dividend income.
D7 Visa Benefits
- Live, work or study in Portugal with visa-free access to the EU for up to go out of 180 days
- Save money on taxes with the Portuguese Non-Habitual Residency (NHR) Program
- Your entire family are eligible for inclusion – and your spouse can work in Portugal as well
- Obtain Portuguese residency in as little as 4-6 months
- Gain access to Portugal’s world-class National Health Service (SNS) as a Portuguese resident
- Once you’ve held D7 residency for 12 months, your new-born children can become Portuguese citizens
- Gain the right to work and do business in Portugal as an independent professional
- Gain access to Portugal’s schools, National Education System and vocational training opportunities
D7 Visa vs Golden Visa
|Application Process Duration
|9 – 12 months
|3 – 4 months
|Path to Permanent Residency & Citizenship
|Minimum In-Country Stay Requirement Per Year
|Portuguese Language Test Required
|Non-Habitual Residency Program Eligibility
|Passive or Recurring Income Required
|Medical Insurance Required
|Portuguese Tax Number (NIF) Required