Officially called “ARI” (standing for Autorizaҫão de Residência para Actividade de Investimento), the Portugal Golden Visa Program is the Portugal Residency Program under which a Portugal Residence Permit is granted to a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen (and his/her immediate family members) who would like to acquire Portugal Residency by Investment.
Investments that qualify under the Portugal Investment Immigration program can be broadly classified under the following categories :
- Investments in “Financial Assets”
- Investments in Real Estate
- Investments in regulated funds dedicated to the capitalization of Portugal companies
- Establishing a company which creates a specified number of permanent jobs for Portuguese citizens
Amongst the above categories, investment in real estate is, by far, the most popular route to acquiring Portugal Residence Permit (with 94% choosing this against 5% who choose to invest in financial assets & 1% who choose to establish a company to create permanent jobs) because of the ease & speed with which the process can be completed.
For details of the various investment options under the Portugal Golden Visa Program, please read our section “Investment Options”
Duration of the Permit
The Portugal Golden Residence Permit is given temporarily for an initial period of one year, renewable for two consecutive periods of two years. After the initial 5 year period, the investor may indefinitely renew his/her temporary residence permit for consecutive periods or may opt to apply for Portugal Permanent Residence or Portugal Citizenship, provided they meet certain criteria.
For details, please read our section “Permanent Residency & Citizenship”
Applicants must commit to the following :
- Maintain the investment for a minimum period of 5 years from the date of approval of Portugal Residence Permit. The investment may be disposed off after 5 years AFTER acquiring Portugal Permanent Residence.
- Stay in Portugal for a period of 14 days in the first two years & for 14 days in subsequent two year periods.
Qualifying Criteria of Main Applicant
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Must be a non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizen
- Must have no criminal record
- Not banned from entering the Schengen area
- Must provide proof of health insurance
Rights of the Main Applicant
- Request a Portugal Residence Permit for his eligible immediate family members
- Legally work in Portugal
- Establish a business in Portugal
- Travel visa-free within the EU & Schengen Area
Eligible Family Members
Eligible family members may apply along with the main applicant or apply at any time thereafter. The eligible family members who can apply are :
- Spouse or partner
- Children under 18 years of age
- Children between 18 – 25 years of age, who are not married and enrolled as a full-time student
- Dependent parents of main applicant and/or spouse
- Siblings under 18 years of age of main applicant and/or spouse, and under their legal supervision
A Portugal Residence Permit is granted to the eligible family members for the same duration as the Main Applicant.
The Portugal Golden Residence Permit is valid for a period of TWO years from the date of its issue & can be renewed for subsequent periods of 2 (two) years provided that the initial conditions of grant are maintained.
The Golden Visa rights will be lost in the event the renewal is not applied for within a maximum of 180 days from the date of expiry of the previous Residence Card.