The Portugal D2 Visa, also known as the Immigrant Entrepreneur Visa, is aimed at providing Portuguese Residency to non-EU/EEA/Swiss foreign nationals who have invested or want to make an investment in Portugal. You can start a business or relocate your existing business to Portugal. You can also choose to invest in an existing business in Portugal.
The processing for this visa is, on average, 60 days.
Who can apply for the D2 Visa
- Entrepreneurs who want to open a business in Portugal
- Entrepreneurs who already have a business in their country of origin and would like to open a branch in Portugal
- Self-employed persons – independent professionals who want to work in Portugal and already have a work contract or a written work proposal. Freelancers & digital nomads can also apply, if they prove that they offer differentiated services that are relevant to the country
Benefits of the D2 Visa
- The right to establish a business, work as an independent professional and/or live/study in Portugal
- Free entry and circulation within the Schengen Area without a Visa. This is perfect for entrepreneurs who want to travel through Europe to network and build corporate connections
- The possibility of family reunification in Portugal: Family includes spouse, children, parents, or siblings dependent on either partner. Family reunification grants all the same rights to your family
- Qualification for permanent residence or citizenship in Portugal: After 5 years of being a legal permanent resident, you may be eligible for Citizenship. You can become a Portuguese citizen after 6 years of legal residency
- Access to Portuguese residency rights, including education and health care: As a Portuguese resident you and your family will have access to the Public Healthcare System and your children to the Public Education System
- The option to apply for Portugal’s Non-Habitual Resident (NHR) tax regime, which is open to anyone who has the right to reside in Portugal and has not been a tax resident of the country in the previous 5 years
How to renew the D2 Visa
With the D2 Visa, you can apply for and receive the Portuguese Residence Permit, which will allow you to live and work in Portugal for 1 year. This permit can be renewed every 2 years. You can apply for Portuguese Citizenship, if the applicant proves the continuity of their professional activities.
Minimum stay requirements
You are required to reside in Portugal for at least 4 months during the first year and at least 6 months per year during each 3-year subsequent periods.
Costs for obtaining a Portugal D2 Visa
The Government fees for this type of temporary residence Visa permit is very nominal (between €50.63 and €158.15 per applicant). The primary costs the applicant will incur are relocation expenses and professional fees. Please note that alternative routes to acquiring residency are more expensive.
Contact us to know more and apply for your D2 Visa