Sponsor Spouse / Child

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada if you are at least 18 years of age and a:

  • Canadian Citizen, or
  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act, or
  • permanent resident of Canada

In addition, you must be able to:

  • support them financially, and
  • make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government

If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents. You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.

You cannot sponsor your spouse, partner or child if –

  • you are a temporary resident, that is you’re visiting, studying, or working in Canada on a temporary visa or permit
  • your permanent residence application is still in process
  • you don’t have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor
  • you have already currently applied to sponsor a spouse, parent or child, and a decision on that application has not been made
  • you are in jail, prison, or a penitentiary
  • you didn’t pay back an immigration loan or a performance bond or court-ordered support payments such as alimony and child support
  • you didn’t give the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor someone else in the past
  • you declared bankruptcy and are not discharged
  • you receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • you were convicted of attempting or threatening to commit a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence inside or outside Canada
  • they are inadmissible to Canada i.e. they are not allowed to come to Canada.

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse if you:

  • were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago
  • are still financially responsible for a previous spouse or partner that you sponsored. This means you are still bound by the 3-year undertaking to take care of this person.
  • can’t legally stay in Canada and must leave the country because you received a Removal Order


To apply to sponsor your spouse, partner or child, there are 2 applications:

1.     You must apply to become a sponsor.
2.     Your spouse, partner or child must apply for permanent residence.
Contact us to know how you can apply.