Sponsoring your parents and grandparents

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption.

You will need to submit separate applications if you sponsor divorced parents and grandparents. If your divorced parents or grandparents have a current spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, they become dependents in the application and can immigrate to Canada with your parents and grandparents (if approved).

In the application, you can also include your brothers and sisters, half brothers and sisters, or stepbrothers and stepsisters only if they qualify as dependent children.

You must meet the income requirements for all the people you want to sponsor and their dependents.

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents if –

  • you are at least 18 years old
  • you live in Canada
  • you are a Canadian Citizen, a Permanent Resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • you have enough money to support the people you want to sponsor (you must provide proof of income). You may also combine the income of your spouse to satisfy this requirement
  • you meet all other requirements under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations
  • you are invited to apply

You cannot sponsor your own parents and grandparents if –

  • you are a temporary resident
  • your permanent residence application is still in process
  • you are in jail, prison, or penitentiary
  • you have not paid back an immigration loan, a performance bond, or court-ordered family support payments such as alimony or child support
  • you didn’t give the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor someone else in the past
  • you declared bankruptcy and are not discharged
  • you receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • you were convicted of a violent criminal offense, any offense against a relative, or any sexual offense inside or outside Canada
  • you cannot legally stay in Canada and must leave the country because you received a Removal Order

You cannot sponsor –

  • your spouse’s parents and grandparents (but you can be a co-signer on your in-laws application)
  • someone who is inadmissible to Canada i.e., they are not allowed to come to Canada

Contact us to know how you can sponsor your parents and grandparents.