This is for foreign Entrepreneurs and self-employed applicants who are seeking to operate a business in Canada, and have dual intent i.e. they have applied or may apply for Permanent Residence (PR) in Canada, and also apply to enter Canada for a temporary period as a visitor, student or worker.

To be eligible, a foreign national must –

  • have received either an offer of employment number, or authorization by the Immigration Program Guidance Branch (IPG) to submit the “Offer of Employment to a Foreign National Exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)”
  • have paid the employer compliance fee, and
  • have submitted an application for a work permit.

An applicant for C11 must satisfy the visa case officer that they have the ability & willingness to leave Canada at the end of the authorized temporary period, regardless of the outcome of any potential future permanent residence application.

In assessing an application for temporary residence, a visa case officer will  consider, among other factors, the following:/h3>

  • the length of time that the client will be spending in Canada
  • means of support
  • obligations and ties to the home country
  • the purpose and the context of the stay
  • the credibility of documents and information submitted
  • past compliance with requirements of the IRPA and IRPR.

Applicants must satisfy that –

  • they will be doing work that is likely to create a viable business that will provide economic stimulus
  • they have related background & skills that will improve the viability of the business
  • they have a business plan that clearly shows that they have taken steps to initiate the business
  • they have taken some steps to put the business plan in action
  • their business will generate significant economic, social or cultural benefits to Canada
  • their business will generate opportunities to Canadian citizens or permanent residents
  • they will generate significant benefit to Canadian clients (only applicable if the applicant is a self-employed person)

In addition –

  • Applicant must control at least 50% of the business
  • If you have a smaller stake in the business, you can ONLY apply for your Work Permit as an employee, and may be required to obtain a “Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)”
  • If there are multiple owners in the business, only one owner is eligible for a Work Permit

Applicants seeking eventual permanent residence

There are two categories of potential permanent residence applicants who may apply for a work permit under this category:

  • Actual or potential provincial nominees undertaking business activities
  • Quebec-destined entrepreneurs or self-employed persons issued a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ)

Contact us if you would like to apply under this visa category.