Residence Permits – Overview
The Portugal Golden Visa is a residency-by-investment program under which a “Portugal Residence Permit” is granted to a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen (and his/her immediate family members) who makes an investment in Portugal.
Investments that qualify under this program can be broadly classified under the following categories :
- Golden Visa – Real Estate (Residential & Commercial)
- Golden Visa – Regulated Investment Funds
- Cultural Production Golden Visa
- Job Creation Golden Visa
- Research Activities Golden Visa
- New or existing company capitalization Golden Visa
- Capital Transfer Golden Visa
- HQA Visa
- D7 Visa
- D2 Visa
For details of the various investment options, please read our section “Portugal Residence Permits“
Duration of the Permit
The Portugal Golden Residence Permit is given temporarily for an initial period of 1 year, renewable for two consecutive periods of two years. After the initial 5-year period, the investor may indefinitely renew his/her temporary residence permit for consecutive periods of two years or may opt to apply for a Permanent Residence Permit. After a 6-year period, the investor may be eligible for Portuguese Citizenship, if all other legal requirements are fulfilled.
- Maintain the investment for a minimum period of 5 years from the date of approval of the Residence Permit. The investment may be disposed of after 5 years AFTER acquiring Permanent Residency.
- Stay in Portugal for a period of 7 days in the first year & for 14 days in subsequent two-year periods. The minimum periods of 7 & 14 days can be fulfilled with just one trip or several trips. Hence, applicants are only required to stay for a total of 35 days in Portugal during a 5-year period.
Qualifying Criteria of Main Applicant
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Must be a non-EU/EEA/Switzerland citizen
- Must have no criminal record
- Not banned from entering the Schengen area
- Must provide proof of health insurance
Rights of the Main Applicant
- Request a Residence Permit for his eligible immediate family members
- Legally work in Portugal
- Establish a business in Portugal
- Travel visa-free within the EU & Schengen Area
Eligible Family Members
Eligible family members may apply along with the main applicant or apply at any time thereafter. The eligible family members who can apply are :
- Spouse or partner
- Children under 18 years of age
- Children between 18 – 25 years of age, who are unmarried, financially dependent on their parents & enrolled as full-time students
- Over 65 & financially dependent parents of the investor and his/her spouse
- Under-18-year-old siblings of either spouse if legally under their supervision
A Residence Permit is granted to the eligible family members for the same duration as the Main Applicant.
Contact us to know which Portugal Residence Permit is the most suitable for you & your family.