Post-Study Migration pathways
Some students may wish to remain in Australia after completing their studies. It is important for such students to know the migration pathways that are open to them & what they need to do in order to be able to obtain a further visa.
Graduating students, who meet specific criteria, have the opportunity to live & work in Australia after completing their studies. If your goal is to seek residency in Australia after completing your course of study, then it is very essential that while choosing your course you consult a migration agent/lawyer to understand the following :
- Will your chosen university or college grant you a pathway for migration
- Will your course of study grant you a pathway for migration
- Will your place of study benefit you in any way in your efforts to seek migration upon completion of your studies
- What are the Temporary or Permanent visa options available to you upon completion of your studies.
There are a number of pathways available to international students. Which one is right for you will depend on a number of factors. Please always be mindful of the fact that Australian Migration Law is constantly changing, hence what may be applicable today might not be so a few months (or few years in the case of some students) down the line.
Some migration pathways or visa options that may be available to international students upon completing their education are as follows :
- The Graduate Work Stream Visa
- The Post-Study Work Stream Visa
- A General Skilled Migration (GSM) Visa
- An Employer Sponsored Visa
- A Training Visa
Unfortunately, a large number of students go down the wrong path due to unprofessional or wrong advice from education agents, friends or education institutes. Please follow the right path by consulting a migration lawyer/agent while choosing your institution & course, so that you are able to achieve your future goals.