Post Study Migration Pathways

Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)

After completing your education in Canada, you can gain Canadian work experience by obtaining a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This is an open work permit issued to foreign students who have graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada. However, graduation from a DLI does not automatically make you eligible for a PGWP. Your DLI must have had an eligible program for you to be eligible to apply for a PGWP.

The PGWP is valid for a period equivalent to your program of study you completed in Canada. Its duration can range from a minimum of 8 months to a maximum of 3 years.

You CANNOT get a PGWP if you already had one after completing an earlier program of study.

PGWP allows you to acquire practical work experience in Canada. It is important for international students that want to make their Canadian immigration applications more competitive. The combination of a Canadian education and Canadian work experience gained through the PGWP will enhance a student’s chances of obtaining Canadian permanent residence.

Other Types of Work Permits

If you are not eligible for a PGWP, you may still be able to work in Canada after you graduate on another type of Work Permit.

There are 2 types of WORK PERMITS –

  • Open Work Permit : This allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer –
    1. Who is listed as “ineligible”
    2. Who regularly offers certain services that do not come within the ambit of an Open Work Permit

    You can only get an Open Work Permit in specific situations.

  • Employer-specific Work Permits : This allows you to work only for a specific employer and according to conditions stated on your Work Permit, such as
    1. Name of the employer you can work for
    2. How long you can work for
    3. The location where you can work (if applicable)

Your post-study pathways to Permanent Residence in Canada

Your Canadian degree or diploma and your PGWP, together, enhance your chances of acquiring Canadian Permanent Residence (PR). They help you to better and quickly integrate, both socially and economically, into the Canadian Labour Market. Which Permanent Migration pathway you are eligible for would depend on your personal circumstances and can be better gauged by contacting us.

The Permanent Migration Pathways for international students in Canada are as follows :

  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
  • Federal Skilled Workers Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades
  • Provincial Nominee Programs
  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot

The Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Workers and Federal Skilled Trades programs are all managed through the EXPRESS ENTRY online application system.

QUEBEC manages its own economic immigration programs, with programs that are different from those offered by the federal Canadian government and under the PNP. Quebec also encourages international student graduates to transition to Permanent Residence. One of the ways is through the Quebec Experience Programs or through the Quebec Regular Skilled Worker Program. If an applicant is interested in immigrating to Quebec, they must meet all requirements of Quebec’s immigration programs to qualify and migrate to that province.