Benefits of EU Long Term Residence

  • Home
  • / Blog /
  • Benefits of EU Long Term Residence

What is an EU Long-Term Residence

An EU Long-Term Resident is a citizen from a country outside the EU/EEA, who has been given long-term resident status of a country in the EU. This status means that the person will have similar rights as EU citizens.


What conditions must you fulfil to get an EU Long-Term Resident status?

If you have resided legally for an uninterrupted period of 5 years in an EU country, you can apply to become an EU long-term resident.

In addition, you must demonstrate that you have –

  • Stable, regular and sufficient financial resources, and
  • Adequate Health insurance.

Some EU countries may also require that you fulfil certain integration conditions, such as tests for knowledge of the local language and history of the country where you live. You may also have to show that you have appropriate accommodation (either rented or purchased).


How long can I stay?

Your long-term resident status does not limit your stay to any fixed period. Hence, you can stay indefinitely. As regards your Residence Permit, it will be valid for at least 5 years and is automatically renewable on expiry.


Can you leave the host EU country during the initial 5-year period before applying for Long-Term Residence?

Yes, you can spend periods shorter than 6 months in a row abroad, if those periods do not add up to more than 10 months in total during the necessary 5-year period before you apply.

In some exceptional circumstances, longer periods of absence may also be treated as not interrupting your residence. Depending on national law, these could include time spent outside your host country for military service, serious illness, maternity care, research or study.


Benefits of becoming an EU Long-Term Residenct

Becoming an EU Long-Term resident has the following important benefits for 3rd country nationals:

  • Most importantly, you will have the right to be treated equally with the citizens of the host EU country
  • You can bring family members with you
  • You will have access to employment and self-employment (this may not apply for some activities which are only for nationals or EU citizens, such as access to some positions in the public administration)
  • You will have the same opportunities for employment
  • You will have the same opportunities for education and work-related training, including study grants
  • Recognition of your diplomas and qualifications
  • You will have the right to vote in local elections
  • You will have access to Social protection, social assistance and social security as defined by national law (EU countries can limit social assistance to basic benefits only, such as the minimum income)
  • Tax benefits
  • You will have access to all goods and services
  • You will have freedom of association and trade union membership
  • You will have free access to the entire territory of the EU host country.


Under what circumstances could you lose your long-term resident status?

You could lose your status if:

  • Your application was based on false information or documents
  • You represent a serious threat to public security or public policy
  • You have been absent from EU territory for more than 12 months in a row


As a long-term resident in one EU country, can you live and work in a 2nd EU country?

Yes. You can stay in a second EU country for more than 3 months for purposes including work, study or training if you apply for and are granted a residence permit in this second country.


To obtain a resident permit for a second EU country, you may have to show that you have one or more of the following:

  • Stable and regular financial resources to maintain yourself and your family
  • Adequate Health insurance
  • Appropriate accommodation
  • If you wish to take up a job, evidence of employment
  • If you are self-employed, evidence that you have sufficient financial funds
  • If you wish to study or train, proof that you are registered to do so

You may also be required to comply with integration measures such as language requirements.


Will you have any rights in the second EU country?

Yes. Once you get a residence permit for the second country, you are entitled to equal treatment with citizens of that country. Some restrictions as regards access to labour market can be applied for one year. You can also bring your family members with you if the family was already joined together in the first country.


Contact us to know how you can apply for EU Residency and an EU Long-Term Residence Permit.

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!